Skip to content
🎉 Thank You for 70 Years of Trust in Our Notary Stamps 🎉


Kansas Notary Frequently Asked Questions

Are you a new notary public? This is a list of our most frequently asked questions about becoming a notary
and what supplies you will need in the state of Kansas.


Kansas Notary Public: a person authorized to perform certain legal formalities such as: take acknowledgements, administer and verify oaths or affirmations, witness signatures, certify copies, note protests and perform any other notarial acts that are allowed by Kansas laws. A notary can also be referred to as a signing agent. The Kansas Notary Public Handbook is a perfect reference.

See our How to Become a Notary Infographic for an easy breakdown of the steps you will need to take.

How do I become a notary in Kansas?

You must print the Notary Public Appointment Form and mail it to the Secretary of State. Aside from the form, you will need to have a $7,500 surety bond, execute an oath of office, provide your official notary seal impression on your form with your signature. There is a filing fee of $25.

Who can become a notary in Kansas?

  • Must be at least 18 years of age
  • Must be a United States citizen
  • Must be a resident of Kansas, have a business in Kansas or be regularly employed in the state, but residing in a bordering state
  • Must not have been convicted of a felony
  • Must not have has a professional license revoked

Where can I practice my notary services?

Anywhere in the state of Kansas.

Who can I notarize for?

You can notarize for any member of the public who makes a sensible request and meets all the requirements for notarization. For Example: Must have proof of identity and be physically present.

What kind of training do I need?

Courses and exams are not a requirement to become a notary in Kansas. However, if you choose to become and electronic notary, you must complete a course and pass an exam that has been approved by the Secretary of State. For more information on being a notary, you can use the Kansas Notary Public Handbook as a reference.

Do I need a bond or insurance?

Yes, you will need a $7,500 surety bond to protect the public from any notary negligence. Errors and Omissions insurance (E&O) is optional, but it is recommended for your own protection.

What are the upfront costs?

  • Application processing fee is $25
  • Bond prices vary based on vendor
  • Prices on Notary Supplies may vary (Notary seal stamps and embossers)

What type of equipment will I need?

  • Notary Seal Stamp or Embosser

Your stamp or seal impression will include the following information: Name, Notary Public and State of Kansas. All stamps include the image of the Kansas Capitol building and My Appt. Expires with a black line to write it in. These two elements are optional. If you choose to use an embosser, you will need seal impression inker to make your raised impressions able to be reproduced.

  • Notary Records Journal

You are not required to purchase a records journal, but we suggest it because it is best practice to keep all notarial acts secure and organized in a bound book with numbered pages.

Should I get business cards or marketing materials?

Although not a requirement, if you believe it is helpful for your business to have these, then it is a good idea. If you work for a company as a notary singing agent, then discuss with them if this would be necessary.

Is there legal risk?

Yes, being a notary grants you certain permissions and responsibilities and there is the need for insurance which was noted earlier.

How much legal risk will I face?

Risk should be assessed on a case by case basis, but being a notary signing agent comes with the responsibility of fully understanding the risks involved. Having E&O Insurance can potentially reduce your exposure to risk.

How long does my commission last?

Notary commission in Kansas lasts for a four year term.