Skip to content
Get Your Official State Notary Supplies!


Idaho Notary Frequently Asked Questions

Are you a new notary public? This is a list of our most frequently asked questions about becoming a notary
and what supplies you will need in the state of Idaho.


Idaho Notary Public: a person authorized to perform certain legal formalities such as noting protests of negotiable instruments, taking acknowledgements, certifying copies, administering or verifying oaths and affirmations and witnessing signatures. A notary can also be referred to as a signing agent. Using the Notary Handbook is convenient reference for everything relevant to Idaho notaries.

See our How to Become a Notary Infographic for an easy breakdown of the steps you will need to take.

How do I become a notary in Idaho?

You must complete the Notary Public Application Form and have it notarized. Purchase and submit a copy of your $10,000 surety bond with your application to the Secretary of State with $30 for your filing fee.

Who can become a notary in Idaho?

  • Must be at least 18 years of age
  • Must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States
  • Must be an Idaho resident or employed in the state
  • Must be able to read and write

Where can I practice my notary services?

Anywhere in the state of Idaho.

Who can I notarize for?

You can notarize for any member of the public who makes a sensible request and meets all the requirements for notarization. For Example: Must have proof of identity and be physically present.

What kind of training do I need?

The Idaho Secretary of State provides an online training course for all new and returning Idaho notaries.

Do I need a bond or insurance?

As an Idaho notary, a bond of $10,000 is mandatory. This surety bond protects the public from any notary misconduct. Errors and Omissions insurance (E&O) is optional, but it is recommended for your own protection.

What are the upfront costs?

  • Application processing fee is $30
  • Bond prices vary based on vendor
  • Prices on Notary Supplies may vary (Notary seal stamps and embossers)

What type of equipment will I need?

  • Notary Seal Stamp

You are required to use a notary seal in the form of a pre-inked or self-inking stamp that has a serrated border for round and rectangle imprints. Imprints include the following information: Name, Notary Public and State of Idaho.

  • Notary Records Journal

You are not required to purchase a records journal, but we urge you to because it is best practice to keep all notarial acts secure and organized in a bound book with numbered pages.

Should I get business cards or marketing materials?

Although not a requirement, if you believe it is helpful for your business to have these, then it is a good idea. If you work for a company as a notary singing agent, then discuss with them if this would be necessary.

Is there legal risk?

Yes, being a notary grants you certain permissions and responsibilities and there is the need for insurance which was noted earlier.

How much legal risk will I face?

Risk should be assessed on a case by case basis, but being a notary signing agent comes with the responsibility of fully understanding the risks involved. Having E&O Insurance can potentially reduce your exposure to risk.

How long does my commission last?

Notary commission in Idaho lasts for a term of six years.